A new COVID-19 impact survey by Development West Coast and the Glacier Country Tourism Group highlights the social and economic impact the pandemic is having on Franz Josef, Fox Glacier and the surrounding settlements.
Key takeaways of report
- 16% of businesses have closed,
- 62% of jobs have been lost,
- Businesses operating at 20% their normal capacity (on average),
- At least 25% of the population has left,GDP contribution is forecast to be down by $382.1m over the next 4 years,
- At least 38 community volunteers likely lost,
- Fire and Emergency Services short-crewed 55-75% of the time.