The Institute of Directors New Zealand (IoD) are currently receiving applications for their “First Steps in Governance Award’.
The award provides the opportunity for a West Coast young professional to gain governance experience in the not-for-profit sector with an internship on the Development West Coast board.
The recipient of the award will also receive:
- one year’s complimentary membership with IoD.
- one year’s complimentary attendance at all Canterbury branch members’ events.
- $850 towards an IoD director development course.
- mentoring from an experienced director.
Applications are sought from individuals who:
- reside in the West Coast region.
- are able to demonstrate leadership, integrity and enterprise in their careers.
- have a range of experience and skills (commercial, community, public service).
- are able to commit the time to prepare for and attend meetings and associated events.
- have not held a significant governance role to date (this does not include a role in a local sports, school or community organisation or club).
Development West Coast chair Renee Rooney says DWC are excited to be partnering with IoD on this initiative.
“It provides a fantastic opportunity for a young professional on the Coast to further their business experience, gain insight into good governance practice and learn about the dynamics of sitting on a board.”
Since 2001, DWC has provided development opportunities to aspiring leaders in the region through the West Coast Leadership and Governance programme. Renee views the First Steps in Governance Award as another great opportunity to build capabilities.
“Having more people in our communities with strong governance capabilities is of immense importance to our region for its growth, success and sustainability into the future.”
Media Release: 6 October 2020